How to Beat the Instagram Algorithm and Grow Your Profile

March 7, 2018

There’s been so much talk of Insta lately–and not much of it has been positive.

Sure, as bloggers, we all hate the new algorithm that doesn’t show much of our content to the majority of our followers. Yes, we can rant and rave about it until the end of time. No kidding, we can cross our fingers and toes and hope that Instagram pays attention to our desperate cries.

But, in the mean time, what are we actually going to do about it?

Exactly–nothing. Because, as much as we’d like to, we can’t do anything about it. It’s out of our control. Sigh.

Gone are the days where everything came up nice and chronologically on our feeds and our audience would increase in size astronomically from the use of one simple hashtag. However, even though experiencing relative organic growth is challenging nowadays, it is possible.

We’ve just got to try and take the Gram for what it is at the moment. We have to make the best of a bad situation.We have to work with what we’ve got.

If you want to know how to beat the Instagram algorithm and grow your profile by making yourself stand out in an already overcrowded marketplace, then read on, my friend.

Instagram App

Be a Storyteller

How to beat the Instagram algorithm 101: the most successful Insta profiles are the ones that tell a story through their photographs.

When I say “tell a story”, I mean that your photos must follow a particular narrative based on the audience that you’re trying to target. For instance, if you’re a keen traveller and want to connect with fellow travellers, post photos of yourself in front of gorgeous backdrops and once-in-a-lifetime views.

Alternatively, if you’re a beauty blogger showing off one of your favourite products, create a post of yourself applying the product in action.

Essentially, make your photos come to life and show that there’s a person behind your profile–a person who is unique and has a whole host of interesting stories to tell.

Katie Davies Instagram

Develop Fresh, Professional-Looking Photos

Another way of working out how to beat the Instagram profile is to ensure that you’re posting fresh, clean-looking photos.

And how do you create said photos? With a half decent camera, of course.

Contrary to popular belief, don’t need a fancypants vlogging-style camera to develop beautiful, eye-catching images for your social media channels or blog. In fact, I find that my iPhone 7 camera often does the trick quite nicely.

Just make sure that you always have good lighting when it comes to taking Insta photos and remove anything too distracting from the background that you can’t crop out later.

Oh, and take advantage of photo editing apps like VSCO, Lightroom or Snapseed to find the perfect filters to tell your story. You’ve got this, hun.

Create a Themed Profile

If you’re new to the world of blogging or the Gram and you’re wondering how to beat the Instagram algorithm, you might want to consider creating a theme for your profile.

FYI, a lot of big bloggers have a certain theme that they follow on their profiles. This basically means that they’re using the same presets and filters via photo editing apps to maintain a consistent and cohesive look across all their profile photos.

On my current favourite photo editing app VSCO, for example, you can simply copy and paste edits from your previous photos onto your new photos.

It saves time and it looks the bomb when all your photos are in the same vicinity (like Instagram). #Winning

How to Beat the Instagram Algorithm

Post Frequently

Captain Obvious over here, but you’re not going to figure out how to beat the Instagram algorithm and grow your profile if you’re hardly ever posting photos.


If you think about it, the more content you’re posting–and more often–the more chance you’ve got of getting your photos “out there” and seen. Therefore, try to post daily if you can. Or, if you can’t post daily, post as regularly as you can.

Consistency is key.

Don’t be like how I used to be and post every day for one week, then slide off the face of the earth for a few days and rinse and repeat. Your audience won’t be able to build trust with you.

And if they can’t build trust with you, then why would they keep returning to your profile?


Use Relevant Hashtags

Again, how to beat the Instagram algorithm 101: post photos with a decent caption, along with several relevant hashtags that will get your photos seen by the right people.

For instance, if you’re a fashion blogger, make sure you’re using #fblogger #fblog #fashionblog and all those lovely variations.

If you search a specific hashtag first, you can see what other hashtags are trending at that particular time and incorporate them into your post too.

Additionally, make sure that you’re using the appropriate amount, because there’s a rumour going around at the moment that your photos will reach more users if you use less hashtags.

I know–completely backwards, right? But a true story.

Utilise Geo Tags

Moreover, a lot of people forget about the good ol’ geo tag, which is where you specify the location of your post before publication.

Did you know that people can find Insta posts from their local area through searching for a specific geo tag? No? Well, get on it then, sister.

Why? Well, it automatically improves your reach and drives users to your profile in the hopes that they click that all-important “Follow” button.

Deffo worth a try, right?

How to Beat the Instagram Algorithm 2018

Don’t Forget About Instagram Stories

Another way of figuring out how to beat the Instagram algorithm is by making the most of Insta Stories.

Even though this feature is no longer considered new, it still gets neglected in the Gram world. (Guilty as charged.)

However, your Stories are just another opportunity to get your content seen by your preferred audience. You can also use hashtags, user tagging and geotagging in your Stories to expand your reach. *Winking emoji*

In addition, there’s a rumour going around that the new Insta algorithm now only shows your posts to 10% of your followers. I know–pretty measly, right? However, Insta stories give you the opportunity to increase your chances of targeting the other 90%, just by referring your followers to your latest post.


Engage With Others

Finally, if you’re still wondering how to beat the Instagram algorithm, try this one on for size…

Just like that age-old saying “you get out of life what you put in,” well, you also get out of Instagram what you put in.

If you’re not willing to spend time and energy commenting and liking other people’s photos, then don’t expect others to do the same for you.

And, while we’re on the subject, you should always reply to comments on your own photos, even if it’s just a simple “thank you” when a user pays you a compliment. Sure, this could increase your chances of further follows, but it’s also just good manners! I mean, kindness and appreciation is e’rythang in life–am I right?

How to Beat the Instagram Algorithm Successfully

Even though bloggers have got the ultimate challenge on their hands RN when it comes to figuring out how to beat the Instagram algorithm, we’ve got to try and make the most of a bad situation.

There are steps that you can take, even though it’s much more difficult than it used to be, to stick two fingers up at the algorithm and grow your profile slowly but surely.

And always remember that Insta isn’t a race. It’s better to have good quality, highly engaging followers who have taken a while to attract than a bunch of spam bots or ingenuine followers because you’ve obtained them through the pesky follow/unfollow method.

Yeah, don’t be one of those people–those people cheat the system to grow inorganically at an exponential rate just for the numbers. Not cool.

Be consistent, post quality photos and stay true to yourself – and I think you’ll find that your Insta profile will do just fine.


What do you suggest in terms of how to beat the Instagram algorithm? Let me know in the comments below! You can also follow me on Insta @kdavieswrites 🙂

Subscribe to my mailing list: